Phoenix Comicon 2018 I dawned my Catwoman (wedding dress) cosplay.
Let me start this off by saying I’ve NEVER made a wedding dress before. I don’t even think I’ve ever sewn a dress before! Looking back there are a few things I would have done differently in the creation of this dress and I’ll note those as we go along.
From the photos I’d seen online I felt that I wanted something very slim as opposed to a ball gown style wedding dress. The pattern I originally used was Simplicity’s D0862. This is JUST to pattern the skirt. I’d planned on making the top seperately and just sewing the two together.
, I feel that there are better patterns that could have been used.
After the fact, I’d probably recommend something like butterick B5325 or even Vogue V1032 so that you can get the entire dress.
Keep in mind that you’re going to have to do some playing around with the pattern. I don’t think anyone has a pattern out specifically for Catwoman’s wedding dress (and if they do then hit me up and quit reading this beginner tutorial!).
The Bottom of the Dress/ Train
The lace at the bottom of the dress can get a little complicated and was the first thing I tackled so I’ll explain how I did that. Again, keep in mind when I sewed my dress I basically made a dress and a skirt.
I basically, with the exception of hemming the top, completed the skirt. The edges of the black lace are very uniform and have this kind of zig-zag design that I liked so I lined the bottom of my skirt with that. While I really liked this minute detail, it meant that while my skirt was sewn “flat”, the lace was sewn on a curve and wouldn’t lie flat on the skirt. I ended up having to cut sections out of the lace so that it would lie flat. I was worried this part would be noticeable but I was pleasantly surprised as it wasn’t!
If I were to do this step differently I probably would have looked at attaching the lace to the pattern pieces prior to sewing them together to give it a more neat look. I also would have waited to hem my dress to hem it with the zig-zag of the lace so that you couldn’t see the white of the dress (skirt) at the bottom. The nice thing about lace is that while it is pretty uniform, I don’t think our eyes really search it for any discrepancies so you can have little mistakes without anyone noticing. I didn’t bring parts of my lace up high enough so I went in later and hand sewed lace higher on the skirt. I don’t think anyone would notice (except maybe you now that I’ve let you in on my secret).
Sewing the lace was a pain. I read in a wedding dress sewing guide book I have that invisible threat is a life saver. While it was helpful in some instances (on the top of the dress) I noticed it on the bottom of the skirt and didn’t care for it. What I Ended up doing was sewing along the zig-zag edges with my sewing machine using black thread. I hand sewed the rest of the lace in (because I’m too OCD and it bothered me to do otherwise).
The Top/Black Portion of the Dress
This is where it gets kind of confusing. Forget the previous train/skirt tutorial entirely! I’m going to call this black portion a dress, but it’s a top and a skirt sewn together. To begin with, I created a white top out of the same stretch Satin. I lined the top of it with black lace and then added my sleeves (which I sewed with my invisible thread 1. because I knew it wouldn’t be visible and 2.Because I bought this thread and needed to use it somewhere! I did this step first because I wanted the top to be one piece of lace instead of different pieces sewn together. I also wanted the lace underneath the velvet.
I created my own pattern for the shape of catwoman’s Black top and then cut it out into my black velvet. I positioned it onto my white top and then sewed it. I took the black lace and used some of the heat bonding tape to keep the lace attached to the white portions (I went in and hand sewed it afterwards). I basically put black lace over the entirety of the top and then cut out my design. I then added my invisible zipper and then sewed a skirt out of the black velvet to it. After adding the two pieces together to make a skirt, I cut slits into the bottom of the skirt. She has about 4 slits total. I then added TWO layers of black lace underneath. The top layer expanded further than the bottom layer to give more of a gradient, less harsh, transition from the lace to the velvet.
I will say that The reason I broke the “little black dress” into two sections was because I was kind of lazy and didn’t want to think about how to sew this as one piece without having seams on the sides if I didn’t have to. I would have redone this if I could have because I’d rather have vertical seams on my side, than a horizontal seam on my abdomen.
Once black dress portion was all done I tried it on over the skirt And pinned where I wanted it to sit (with the help of a friend, of course)! I then hand sewed my seams WITHIN the lace so as to limit the amount of times I sewed on the velvet (as the seams on the lace could be hidden much easier). Once I sewed those together I cut the access of the white skirt that wasn’t needed and then BOOM. Catwoman dress.
My cat ears and black veil type thing were both purchased on Amazon.