Ocean Master Cape Glow Up

How’s this for an anticlimactic blog post? Not that I think anyone was at the end of their seats waiting for me to make a new blog post… but if you were I’m sorry it wasn’t anything more complex!

I think that most people who sew have their projects that they love and the projects that they hate. For some reason I absolutely love making capes. There’s something about an epic cape that just makes you want to take over the world! On the other hand, I absolutely hate making boot covers! It pains me to even think about making new boot covers! They aren’t even that complex but they are just time consuming (especially for superheroes who have ridiculous shoes- and I’m looking at you New 52 Supergirl).

Anyway, about a year ago, I made my friend Leo a cape for his Ocean Master costume.

Leo as Ocean Master, myself as Supergirl. Photo by Sam Mort.

Looking at this cape now it’s definitely not the right length (it either needs to be longer or shorter, this length made it difficult for him to walk without tripping on it. It’s also a bit slim. Hardly fit for a king. Well we ended up cutting up the bottom of this cape at one of the conventions because he kept walking all over it. In preparation for future cons Leo had asked me to fix up the bottom that we cut and I took it upon myself to completely redo the cape. So here’s been my progress:


I started with the Simplicity Pattern 5794 for an epic cape pattern!

For my fabric I used Stretch Velvet in “Wine” and “Black” from Fabric.com and got about 7 yards in each (although I may have only really needed 6-6.5 yards as I have a significant amount of fabric left over).

I’m pretty sure that the world slows down when you cut fabric because this stage takes FOREVER. This is a much more complex cape than I usually do and because of the length requires more pieces (8 total). Luckily, if you’re lazy like me you can just double up your fabric and just cut out 4 pieces total instead of doing each one individually.

I ended up using my pinking shears to cut this fabric because I had some new ones laying around in preparation for the moment I might actually need them. Pinking sheers are used on fabrics that may easily fray, however, when I used my pinking sheers I noticed a significantly less amount of fabric bristles (for lack of a better word) all over my floor. Pinking shears are fun because they remind me of grade school when kids used to cut with fun scissors for scrapbooking and whatnot! If you’re interested in a pair you can find them at Joann or really anywhere.

Once all 8 of these bad boys are cut up I used a stay stitch at the neckline to keep them from stretching (if you’re not familiar with stay stitching, here’s a tutorial). After the I started with my “wine” side. My biggest life saver in all of this were these wonder clips I’d #TreatedMySelf too after a friend recommended them to me. Seriously SO WORTH IT. I bought mine off Joann but Amazon actually has them for cheaper

This material is pretty heavy and I had much more faith in clipping the fabric together than I did in pinning all of it.
Once I finished sewing my pieces for my “wine” fabric, I had this, (modeled by Viktor

So for the black half of this cape I just did the same exact thing.. cut out my pieces.. sewed all 4 pieces together.. etc.
I then sewed these two pieces together, right sides together (inside out), leaving the neckline unstitched. Once I turned the cape right side out I top stitched the edges so they wouldn’t be so flimsy and there’d be a definite start and finish to the wine vs black side.

I folded in the edges of the neckline and top stitched that as well. Because Leo has his own methods for attaching capes to his armor I didn’t worry about adding any kind of ties or fasteners and left it at that.
The finished product:

*****UPDATE*****
Cape in action at wondercon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *